William Hathaway’s “Oh, Oh” is a poem that sets a picturesque scene of youthful dreams being shared between two young lovers, walking together idly, side by side, on a summer day in the country side. They are lost in their own little world, enjoying themselves and the pleasantness of their inner worlds-- until they happen upon a menacing sight. Hathaway utilizes many poetic devices that deliver his message with impact; that the passage of time often reveals a reality different from that of our dreams.
The first thing that caught my attention in this poem was its use of casual, and at times even outright childish language. Cows become “moo cows,” trains “choo-choos.” In the first sentence, the speaker says “My girl and I amble down a country lane,” so this, along with the simple, childish language, creates the scenery of a young couple spending a lazy summer day together, completely at ease with each other— perhaps a very young pair of teenagers in love, or a pair of adults so completely unguarded, they’re indulging in childish speak together. Their "own sweet saliva green with grass stems" relates closely to the imagery of the "moo cows chomping daisies," perhaps to signify their unawareness and blissful ignorance as they meander along in their own little world. Other language the writer uses to this point to describe the interactions between the two are words such as “funny,” “gaily,” “dreamily,” “loyally,” all of which have connotations of youthful naïveté.
The second thing that I noticed was the use of a train as a motif. Trains are a symbol for time, transformation, or progress. In this poem, the train is a symbol for time, in particular. As they take notice of the “choo-choo,” with its headlight mistakenly shining in the summer sun, the narrator mentions his dream of being president, to which his young love responds, “And me first lady,”—A response typical of a very young girl in love with her head in the clouds, willing to devote the rest of her life and sign away personal aspirations to follow her beau to the end of the earth. This wishful dialogue between the two young lovers reinforces the theme of youthful naïveté, willfully ignorant of the more unpleasant sides of life. It is not a coincidence that these dreams coincide with the passing of “the last boxcars,/ named after wonderful, far away places” (such as the ones in our dreams.) When the boxcars disappear, the two lovebird’s daydreams are suddenly burst by the sight of fifty menacing Hell’s Angels appearing, leaving the reader to wonder, What will happen to them now?
The headlight seemed to symbolize something about the couple to me as well. Perhaps the conductor's careless act of leaving the train light on during daylight symbolizes that they are plowing on full speed ahead carelessly, without taking time to contemplate their actions or surroundings, both immediate and long-term. Another thing the headlights could represent is the oncoming of night, and its darkness, an image that may reflect the transition of our lives from carefree youth to jaded and wizened elders.
Whether the Hell's Angels leave the two alone, give them some trouble, or worse, their appearance certainly makes the poem’s message clear: our innocent wishes and dreams are all too often dashed by life’s uglier realities. I think this poem certainly makes a statement about how such dreams can be crushed by the passage of time, as we face and witness more and more obstacles and evils in our lifetime. Commonly, we begin to lower our standards or develop a thick skin as we mature in order to protect ourselves from such unavoidable experiences. For better or for worse, we cannot allow ourselves to be caught off guard, as these two young lovers are, to find the many variations of the life’s Hell’s Angels, “poised and growling,” waiting to pray upon us.

I just got done reading "Oh, Oh" a few times, and of course, I got the message that the two main characters were young. So young in fact, that I'd hate to call them 'Lovers'. Simply because they are chewing on grass stems and the other reason being that the girl exclaims "Choo-choo..." What teenager or younger adult calls a train a choo-choo unless they are talking to someone very young? As I continued to read, I began to think that this was a father and daughter outing until the girl says that she will be the "first lady" to her husband the president. Also, the train is a very significant factor in this poem. Being someone who dreams on a regular basis and has books about dreams, the meaning of this train has a few of its own.
ReplyDelete1. Your future is ‘on track’. As trains follow a fixed route, this dream may suggest that one is being helped with their journey through life.
Who is helping whom? Is the boy helping the girl or the girl helping the boy...or are they helping each other?
2. Also, are they conformist's? Jung believed that to dream of taking a public vehicle often means that the dreamer is not finding their own way forward and is behaving like everyone else.
I'd like to think of poems as dreams just because it is something that came from the head of a writer for us to decipher. I'd like to say that the train in this poem signifies the latter of the two meanings that I have place in this blog, which brings me to the Hell's Angels part. Maybe the two characters ARE conformists and stumbling upon the Hell's Angels is something that would change their innocent lifestyles. I believe they are children and children are most influenced when they are young.
The section about the Hell's could mean that well, it isn't Kansas anymore and all that was good and natural in the world is now gone, because nobody thinks of the Hell's Angels and thinks of good things to associate them with.
-Daneshia 09:30 class
Julia, this is a really awesome blog! I really like the way you put things all together.
ReplyDeleteAnd I agree with Daneshia on first picturing the relationship as father and daughter too. Reading the first several lines of this poem, I thought it might be a father and a daughter ambling since William Hathaway used “my girl” to introduce one of the main characters in this poem and the language of this girl was naïve and childish. But later the conversation just threw me out of the settings that I have had in mind. After reading it several times, however, I still insisted that way of father-and-daughter understanding even if I did see the “and me the first lady” line. It gave me an uncomfortable and sick feeling of malposition, just as the feeling that the whole poem gave me. These confusions might not be presented together by accident. I believe the author tried to be naughty at the very beginning, when he decided to use “Oh, Oh” as the title.
Talking about the title, I would like to share something we talked about in 8:00a.m. Class. Following was pointed out by Professor Crowther.
When she talked about how the poem sounded like, she said people could read “Oh, Oh” in many different ways. It could sound real happy that the second “Oh” could be replaced by a “Yeah”. It could also sound like people were real surprised by the unexpected result; in this case, people could substitute the second “Oh” with a “Wow”, which was still a happy surprise. However, the later “Oh” sometimes could be breathtakingly depressing. For instance, when I read the last two sentences of the poem, I just could not help myself replacing the second “Oh” to a “No”.
“Oh, Oh” (/Yeah)… “My girl and I amble a country lane”, there were “moo cows” and “choo-choo’s light on” How happy!
“Oh, Oh” (/Wow)… “When I hear trains at night I dream of being the president” What a nice dream, where do I have that kind of idea? Anyway, it still sounds nice. How delighting!
“Oh, Oh” (/No)… “[F]ifty Hell’s Angels” How depressing!!
-Lola Song 8:00 class
I think the childish language such as "choo-choos" and"moo-cows" are contrasting to cruel and unpleasant reality. There words emphases the innocent couple now are filled with hope and confidence. I strongly agree with Julia's opinion about "This wishful dialogue between the two young lovers reinforces the theme of youthful naïveté, willfully ignorant of the more unpleasant sides of life." They are too young to know the truth of the reality. My understanding is that the author wants to express the reality is unsatisfactory for us, whatever how beautiful dreams we have, it will be end just like the bursting bubble. When we faced with the reality, man has become humble, and our dreams will be defeated by the reality. As the trains crossed by, the couple's bodies have been crushed by the wheels as well as their dreams. The conflicts with the real world and Utopia make us aware that we should be more practical. Also, the negative emotions are insinuated by the paraphrase like black window. It implies the end of the story is not well. Yes, the fifty hell's angles are the response to their terrible circumstance. As Lola mentioned, the title "Oh Oh" has different meaning. The most interesting part is that it just change with different lines. It can be understood as happiness, surprise and screaming. The poem is satirical, it illustrates that life is not what we expect. When we indulge in the vision of the beautiful dream, trouble is just around the corner.
ReplyDeleteIt's funny becase as I have been reading the Bedford book, I have found that there SHOULD be meaning in a title, but there's not always one. After reading "Oh, Oh", I kinda think the title would have been better if it was called "Uh, Oh" I have yet to find really and truly what the title has to do with the poem and think that "Uh, Oh" would have been better since the two "children" stumbled across the group of Hell's Angels. Like "Uh, Oh, we're in trouble"
ReplyDeleteThank you all for commenting, I liked reading all of your input!
ReplyDeleteWhen I first read this poem, I also thought the two main characters were father and daughter. When I read about their dreams though, I realized the intention was most likely for us to see the characters as girlfriend and boyfriend. "My girl" is a popular term used by adolescents or young men to describe their girlfriend. I also thought that they didn't necessarily have to be children to speak childishly, because to be honest, I speak childishly with my boyfriend when we're alone sometimes too. It shows that we feel safe around each other, we trust we won't judge each other, and we can our guard down.
That said, I thought the main theme of this poem is that we get caught up in our own versions of reality and our dreams, only to be confronted with other harsher truths. It's hard to let our beautiful, innocent dreams exist when there are others out there with malicious intents and difficulties we all must face in life. I think that the Hell's Angels represent this. The train was also such a strong symbol that I felt it might be a metaphor for our loss of innocence as we grow older. As we grow up, many of our dreams and ideas are thwarted because they are not accepted or are too out of reach, or we come into trials and tribulations that defer them.
For that reason, I also think that "Oh, Oh" is a good title because it is ambiguous and its meaning can change. It can be optimistic, as in "oh, goodie!" or "oh, joy," it can be an "oh, oh!" of surprise or fear, or it can like a sigh, a dreary acceptance of reality and it's facts: "oh, oh..."