Sunday, March 21, 2010

Character Names in Atonement

Okay you guys, I hope you won't mind another short entry from me. While reading Atonement, I got to thinking about whether or not the character's names had any significance. I wondered about the name Briony-- I felt as though I remembered it as not only a name, but a plant as well. Recalling how significant name meanings are in Jumpha Lahiri's work, and how every element of a writer's work is used to convey a meaning, I looked up her name, and then out of curiosity, looked up some of the other names of Atonement's main characters. Here is what I found:


The girl's name Briony \b-rio-ny\is a variant of Bryony (Greek), and the meaning of Briony is "climbing plant". Perhaps her name is indicative of her ambition, and also her self importance-- how she put herself before others. (Climbing plants, such as ivy, often smother other plants for their own welfare.)


Ce-ci-lia is of Latin origin, and its meaning is "blind one". Which is interesting, because she herself admits in a foreshadowing early on that she will be a victim of a fate which she cannot yet see.

The boy's name Robert is of Old German origin, and its meaning is "bright fame". This might be a stretch, but since he is ambitious, seeks to climb out of his lower caste, make something of himself and move up in the world, I think it is fitting of his character.

Again, maybe I am stretching it a little, but I was surprised by how fitting what I found was. Once more, I am amazed at how meticulously crafted literature is. It is full of literary devices that usually go over my head at first glance. Learning how to identify them has really increased my appreciation for writers and their work.



The bryony plant, Briony's namesake. A harmful, climbing plant. ...Hmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment