Don't watch the video unless you don't mind hearing spoilers!
This is a more concrete comparison, but both Ishiguro and McEwan graduated from the same college with the same major, and both are contemporary writers who live in England. That being said, many critics have also linked the two authors together, but not because of their similar origin. The two authors have been said to have a similar tone. I have only read one of McEwan's works and one of Ishiguro's works, but comparing the two I would have to agree on their similar tone. As stated by Lev Grossman of The New York Times in his article "Never Let Me Go (2005), by Kazuo Ishiguro," both books are narrated "with dry-eyed, white-knuckled restraint." Since reading both books, I believe there may be no other tone in which to write these two tragedies, due to the desolate and unforgiving nature of the stories themselves. Both plots resemble each other as well, because of their slightly similar incidents of the difficulties that may accompany seeking love. I could go into plot detail on the similarities of the novels, but doing so would risk me giving away the end of "Never Let Me Go." Ishiguro, like McEwan, carefully reveals the secrets of his book. Even the smallest amount of information could ruin the book for some readers.
Although both books have some striking similarities, they are completely different. Both award winning authors create individual masterpieces, worthy of attention separate from one another.
But I wrote this blog post to hopefully spark some interest about the book. Now would be a wonderful time to read it, since there will be a movie based off of the book coming out somewhat soon (which will also star Keira Knightly...joy). I am afraid of the movie, and I hope it won't turn the plot into a major love sap-fest!
Never Let Me Go is a great book and your observation that the authors "carefully reveal the secrets" is well-stated. I have to add that Remains of the Day is my favorite novel by Kazuo Ishiguro, and I highly recommend it as well.
ReplyDeleteI bought it and had started reading it, but then I lost it. I'm hoping to find it when I clean out my dorm!
ReplyDelete