Monday, April 26, 2010

The Pulitzer is Following Me

This is a warning: the topics discussed in our class will follow you where ever you go.

I have a very interesting story to tell today. This past weekend I went home with one of my friends to Midway, Georgia which is near Savannah. We decided to stop at the old cemetery there because it is known for ghost encounters and all those shenanigans. Here are some photos which don't to it justice for the creepiness...but it will give you an idea.




Those are just two veiwpoints and what was beyond the wall was enough to give you chill bumps. Many confederate soldiers and their families are buried here along with hundreds of people from that time period.

Anyways, on to the interesting part of my story. We quickly walked past an information wall and something caught my eye...the word "Pulitzer." I stopped to read knowing this would be something interesting to blog about!

The winner of the 1982 Pulitzer prize was a work entitled "Mary Chesnut's Civil War" edited by C. Vann Woodward. Which is a rendition of a book called "The Children of Pride: A True Story of Georgia and the Civil War" written by Robert Mason Myers. This book consist of letters sent to and from a highly influential person in Liberty County Georgia during the Civil War, Reverend Charles Colcock Jones. Jones owned a plantation and served as a missionary to slaves. He,himself, did not believe in the institution of slavery.

It was at the Midway Graveyard that Reverend Charles Colcock Jones is buried along with his wife and 2 of his children. I was able to take a picture (althought low in quality) of the information wall as well as Jones' grave.




This is where I caught site of the information.



This is the grave site of Reverend Charles Colcock Jones.

I found all of this very interesting and was excited to do research and find out about the book and the Reverend himself and I hope you found my findings interesting too!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, this is very cool! Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really interesting. It reminds me of my first and only visit to Oakland Cemetery where I found Margaret Mitchell. Did you find anyone else there? LOL

    ReplyDelete