Thursday, April 29, 2010

Reflections on Class

Class is ooovveerrr!!! whoo hoo..but the feeling is honestly relieving and stress free because that means no papers until the fall! I would have to agree with everyone else that this class has definitely set my standards up for any text that I will be reading from here on out because of our mad skills in close-reading.

I actually did not think I would enjoy this class as much as I have and it would probably be because I do not like English. I truly despise the thoughts of writing, reading, and analyzing because the process to writing a paper seems to be on-going and it never stops because if you were to leave a piece of your work somewhere and come back to it with a "fresh pair of eyes," the whole process of editing and revising starts yet again. Now, I probably would not say i despise writing papers but maybe dread of it..which sounds a little bit better to me because that just means I would write the paper just for the heck of it and find out that the paper was not so bad after all.

With the help of Professor Crowther and my peers, I am now openly comfortable to let people read some of my work because in high school we would not go through the whole process of editing or revising as much as it was pushed in this class and so I would just write a paper the night before and not have anyone give me feedback. I have learned that critiques can be harsh, but it is okay because that just helps your paper bring forth what you are trying to say and help readers understand the message that you were trying to pull through. I have also found out that writing papers in MLA style is very crucial (so always check your margins!) and doing a works cited page isn't as hard as I thought it was ought to be because that seems to be a problem for a few of us.

Through this course, I can now say that I have happily improved from what I wanted to accomplish by the end of this semester which is to be more comfortable with the way I write, allow others to read my work, definitely take time to start papers early and not procrastinate, and little things like transitioning, putting each paragraph together to make the actual paper, and being able to form well structured thesis statements.

I would like to thank Professor Crowther for all the help that she has given me and for welcoming all of us at her house for a small get together and the amount of work she puts into grading our papers and commenting on all of them. I would also like to thank those who were able to help me on my papers and give me ideas and that everyone has a safe and wonderful summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment