When I was registering for classes this Spring, I was dreading ENG-110 because there were so many options to choose from, but none that would fit my schedule. I finally chose to register for "Picking the Pulitzer: Becoming a Modern Literary Critic" with much hesitation. I read great comments about Professor Crowther, but she was last here in 2005! A lot could have changed in those five years I reminded myself. Not knowing what to expect, I walked in class ready to be disappointed. Becoming a Modern Literary Critic was never a goal of mine, nor did it interest me. I thought I would dread this class and the assignments we would be given, but I am happy to say that I have learned a lot and am glad I decided to take this class.
I liked that Professor Crowther had us set goals for ourselves the first few classes because it allowed me to determine what I wanted to get from this class. It made me realize that I cannot accomplish something I don't know--I had to expect or want something to know where to go and what to work towards. And so I told myself I wanted "to learn to first understand complicated literature so I can fully appreciate it as an art. I want to learn to enjoy reading and to read more. I also hope to improve my analytical and comprehension skills and maybe have a new favorite book after this class." These seemed to be a bit ambitious, but I wanted range so I could at least land somewhere in those goals.
Though learning to analyze literature was not fun at the beginning, I have come to believe that I could overcome any literary analysis paper that is assigned. After explicating Native Guard, I began to gain confidence in my potential and abilities--I felt like I was on top of the world. Looking back at the writer I was pre-ENG-110, I am able to say that I have accomplished my goal of improving my analytical and comprehension skills. Having to write about things that I couldn't see before in books allowed me to realize that my perspective on literature was skewed. It only took some close-reading to really understand what an author is trying to say and realize that things are done on purpose to convey a message.
Though I still may not like reading much at all, I feel my appreciation for literature from having to analyze so many different things has made it easier and more likely for me to read. I would not say that I have any new favorites books because Harry Potter is still my love, I have books I do like and enjoy.
Overall, I appreciate all the ideas everyone presented in class and hearing everyone's perspective has really taught me to realize my own voice as a writer. I hope everyone else enjoyed and learned as much about themselves as writers as I did and I know this wouldn't be possible without Professor Crowther. Thank you for being such great motivation and help in making this class enjoyable and aiding us in becoming little modern literary critics.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment